If you’re struggling to generate consistent coaching sales from your email list, you’re not alone.
Even coaches who are absolutely crushing it can have a hard time figuring out email.
For example, meet Daavi Gazelle.
He runs growth for a coaching company that helps physicians overcome burnout.
And even though they did $400k in sales last year, they STILL couldn’t figure out how to get any traction from their list of 2,000+ subscribers.
Until we came along. 🙂
After studying Daavi’s business, we helped him craft an unconventional email campaign that immediately brought in $26,500 in coaching sales and counting.
Today, I’m going to take you inside that campaign so you can use the same approach to quickly pick up some high-ticket clients from your email list.
Check out my conversation with Daavi + the full breakdown below:
Breaking Down the “Emotional” Email Campaign That Generated $26,500 in Coaching Sales
Before we get to the emails, let’s look at how Daavi’s company gets coaching sales in the first place:
The Business: Daavi is the chief growth officer for Dr. Gail Gazelle, a physician and Harvard medical school professor who coaches physicians on overcoming burnout. She and her team of physician coaches help physicians of all types take care of themselves so they can take better care of their patients and enjoy their work again.
Their Product: They currently sell a 120-day coaching program that features a combination of group coaching, 1:1 coaching, and a library of self-paced resources.
The price currently ranges from $7,000 – $12,000 depending on which program path the client takes.
The Funnel: At a high level, Dr. Gazelle’s funnel works like many other high-ticket coaching funnels.
- They get traffic from a variety of channels — last year, their primary ones were SEO and word-of-mouth.
- Those visitors can sign up for Dr. Gazelle’s email list and/or book a free 30-minute physician wellness coaching call directly from the website:
- On the call, they learn about the prospect and pitch them the coaching program if it’s a good fit.
The Problem: In 2022, Daavi and Dr. Gazelle did $400k in sales — while barely generating any of that revenue from their email list.
Even though they have over 2,000 subscribers, past attempts at selling coaching via email haven’t worked at all.
“We’ve tried different templates we found online. We’ve tried campaigns from YouTube. We haven’t been able to make sales from our email list,” Daavi said.
That’s where we came in.
The “Make You Cry” Email Campaign That High-Ticket Clients Can’t Resist
When you’re not getting results from a 2,000 subscriber email list full of quality leads, it means one of 2 things:
- Your offer sucks. This likely wasn’t the case since Daavi and Dr. Gazelle were having no problem converting people once they got them on the phone.
- Your email copy isn’t connecting. You need to try something radically different from what you’ve done in the past.
And man did we have something radically different for Daavi to try.
It’s called the “Make You Cry” campaign.
This is an email campaign we originally created for ourselves, but it can easily be adapted to sell many other kinds of high-ticket coaching or consulting.
The premise is simple:
- You introduce your coaching program (or service) as the solution to your ideal client’s most painful problem.
- You offer to create a custom plan to solve that problem as Step 1 when they become a client. (More on this step in a second.)
- You offer to give them a full refund if that custom plan doesn’t make them feel like crying tears of joy when they receive it.
It’s not traditional.
It’s not boring.
It’s not something they’ve heard before.
And when you pair it with an emotional intro, it hooks people immediately.
For example, here is what the opening looks like in the first email of the “Make You Cry” campaign we’ve run for our coaching program, Growth University:
This introduces the “custom plan” I mentioned in the second bullet point above — the 7-Figure Roadmap. It’s a document we create for every client who hires us that maps out the steps we believe their business can take to hit 7 figures (or beyond).
Later in the email, we introduce the guarantee:
“But Bryan, I don’t offer a ‘7-Figure Roadmap’ to clients!! How can I run this campaign??”
Easy — create your own version of it.
That’s what Daavi did.
For Dr. Gazelle, it became a “Burnout Free Blueprint.” Check out how they described it in their email:
Every coaching program or high-ticket consulting service on the planet can come up with their own version of this.
It’s simply a high-level overview of the steps you are going to take your client through based on what you know about their personal needs.
It paints the picture of what life will be like when they’ve implemented what you teach them.
It’s very natural for it to trigger an emotional response (even if it doesn’t result in actual tears).
That’s exactly why Daavi believes this campaign finally broke their email cold streak and converted subscribers into customers:
“The copy was so much more emotional,” he said. “We had tried discounts and we tried a Black Friday, a Valentine’s Day, ‘three spots left,’ that kind of thing. But with ‘Make You Cry,’ I think it hit so well for our audience because physicians can experience a lot of pain. So when we flipped that on its head, and we were like, ‘We’re gonna make you cry tears of joy’…it hit.”
Beyond the hook, the structure of the rest of the campaign is pretty straightforward. Here’s a high-level overview:
- Email 1: Announce the “Make You Cry” challenge and introduce the guarantee.
- Email 2: Zoom in on the “blueprint” associated with the guarantee and walk readers through it.
- Email 3: Show the step-by-step process your coaching program takes customers through. Help them visualize the experience of being a client and all the benefits it offers.
- Email 4: Present your most common objections as questions. Answer them.
- Email 5: Share a story about a client you’ve helped.
- Email 6: Announce the challenge is ending in 24 hours.
- Email 7: Give final notice the challenge is ending.
Daavi ran this campaign from Tuesday-Sunday, with the final 2 emails going out on the same day.
So far, the campaign has:
- Booked 12 sales calls
- 3 of which have converted into $26,500 in sales
- With a handful of calls still pending
That’s the power of the right email campaign.
Want me to create a custom plan to get your offer in front of the right people? Let’s talk.
Here’s what Daavi had to say about his experience in our coaching program, Growth University:
“There have been a ton of key foundational steps that we’ve either missed or executed poorly on in the past (instilling a converting sales page, having a welcome sequence, running successful campaigns to our email list, growing our email list, etc.) and it feels great to know that we have proven templates and strategies to utilize here. Additionally, our coach is INCREDIBLE!”
Everything gets easier when you have a plan and experienced partner at your side to help you execute it.
Book a Strategy Call with my team and we’ll walk you through the exact steps you can take to grow your course or coaching business’s revenue. Plus, if it’s a good fit, we’ll show you what it would look like for us to coach you like we’re coaching Daavi.
On the call, we’ll show you:
- Growth opportunities you’re currently overlooking in your business.
- The step-by-step process you can use to take advantage of those opportunities.
- What it would look like to have my team individually coach you through the entire process.